Subject: Re: GCD006: Rewrite bootloader subsystem

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2025 22:30:01 +0200

Hello Lilah,

Lilah Tascheter <[email-masked]> writes:

> about a year ago I proposed a patch series rewriting bootloader handling
> in Guix. seeing the new GCD process, I figured it was perfect for
> gathering discussion and consent for the rewrite. so, I rewrote
> the rewrite, and I'm proposing it here!

I saw your patches before and also the recent message by Ada Avery: I
very much agree with the need for change here!  The current design
indeed inherits from a GRUB-only vision (after all, the U in “GRUB” was
meant to stand for “unified” :-)) and has become problematic, as this
GCD clearly explains.

Regarding the design, I wonder if the mapped-device/mapped-device-type
pattern (or package/build-system pattern) is relevant.  The other
important matter is ensuring backwards-compatibility for user configs.

At any rate, all the power for this GCD!

Thanks,
Ludo’.