Subject: Re: [bug#78689] Merging of "nss-updates"

From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2025 15:57:03 +0200

Am Tue, Aug 12, 2025 at 03:37:44PM +0200 schrieb Andreas Enge:
> we could also correct the package and rebuild everything.

I have opted for this solution and fully reverted the last commit;
you could have a look at the IRC logs for more details.

In short: The late ungexping makes expressions such as
   (unless #t ...)
in 64 bits or
   (unless #f ...)
in 32 bits appear verbatim in the builder script.
On the other hand, ungexp-splicing the whole expression (here the
(if ...)) forces an evaluation when creating the derivation, so that only
the result appears in the builder script - in 64 bits there is nothing,
since the "then" branch evaluates to the empty list; in 32 bits there
are the expressions from the "else" branch that above I have hidden behind
the ... .

So the #$@(if, or otherwise said the early ungexping, is a feature and
had better be kept.

Andreas