Subject: Re: [bug#78332] GCD005: Regular and efficient releases (submitted)

From: pinoaffe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2025 11:26:21 +0200

Andreas Enge <[email-masked]> writes:
>> """The GCD process is a mechanism to determine whether a proposed
>> change is *significant* enough to require attention from the community
>> at large and if so, to provide a documented way to bring about broad
>> community discussion and to collectively decide on the proposal.
>> 
>> A change may be deemed *significant* when it could only be reverted at
>> a high cost or, for technical changes, when it has the potential to
>> disrupt user scripts and programs or user workflows."""
>> 
>> What from GCD 005 is significant by this definition?
> If I follow this definition in the second paragraph, then this GCD
> proposal is not significant; it can be reverted at low to zero cost.
>
> On the other hand, I think that putting into place a process for releases
> is a significant change; and since there are several ways of getting to
> a release, it is good to have a community discussion and to collectively
> decide.

I think defining a release process might be a significant change, but
establishing a release schedule when there is none at the moment does
not seem like a significant change, and in any case I don't think that
regular releases can be brought about by a GCD

kind regards,
pinoaffe