Subject: Re: [bug#78332] GCD005: Regular and efficient releases (submitted)

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2025 15:18:37 +0200

Hi Greg,

Greg Hogan <[email-masked]> writes:

> My opinions on the project release cadence are of no greater
> consequence than the update frequency or inclusion of any individual
> package by a contributor or team. Most of this GCD can simply be
> merged into the project documentation, which can then be updated with
> a new commit rather than requiring a new GCD. By codifying an annual
> release process we actually restrict the number of releases! And what
> if the June deadline is missed? If these are mere guidelines then what
> are we voting on?

We’re deliberating on a release process.

And I think that’s no small feat.  Previously, releases were handled by
long-time contributors; some of the process is documented but most of it
is insider knowledge.  Overall it was arguably not very legible,
particularly the “when” and the “what”.

I believe this GCD clarifies all this, meaning that contributors more
clearly know what to expect and how to contribute.

Thanks,
Ludo’.