Subject: Insufficient error message on scheme errors

From: "nomike (they/them)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2025 01:41:10 +0100

The logging for guile errors is not sufficient when running `guix home 
reconfigure`.

If you run the small self-contained example I've attached, the following 
warning will be printed to the terminal:

 > guix home: warning: unknown keyword or bad argument

There is an error in `prusa-slicer.scm`. If you rename it to 
`prusa-slicer.scm~`, the warning is gone.

The bug here is, that the error message is very generic and doesn't tell 
me what's going on. Via trial and error I can try renaming scheme files, 
comment out sections of code, etc. and eventually track down the area of 
the issue and then maybe spot the error there, but IMHO guix should 
print more info to the terminal.

Something like this for example:

 > guix home: warning: unknown keyword or bad argument 'foobar' in 
./prusa-slicer.scm:12

would be much more helpful. Especially for noobs like me.

PS: This is not about the issue with `prusa-slicer.scm`, I know it's 
wrong and bullshit ;-).