Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/4] Fixes for subshells and redirections

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2025 17:23:43 +0200

Hello comrades,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> This fixes issues reported at <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/75658>
> and related I noticed while looking at the code.

[...]

>   shell: Exit child process when ‘execle’ fails.
>   shell: Remove dead code in ‘install-current-ports!’.
>   shell: ‘install-current-ports!’ opens file descriptors, not ports.
>   Open low-numbered file descriptors for use by the shell.

Timothy, Janneke: could you review/apply these Gash patches and cut a
release?  The ‘core-packages-team’ has been blocked on this issue for
months.

We cannot easily apply patches to the package definitions because
‘patch’ isn’t available this early bootstrapping phase.  So if there’s
no “official” Gash release, we would have to host a copy somewhere,
which is not ideal.  But perhaps we can take that route if a Gash
release cannot be made by, say, May 5th?

Let me know what you think!

Ludo’.