Subject: Re: [bug#68386] [PATCH v1] gnu: Add emacs-vhdl-mode.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 09:08:23 -0500

Hi,

Cayetano Santos <[email-masked]> writes:

>>dim. 14 janv. 2024 at 21:46, Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Since there already is a 'vhdl-mode' package shipped with Emacs, I think
>> it's important to describe how this one differs (what improvements, features,
>> refinements, etc. does it provide that would make it worth considering
>> it instead of the default Emacs-provided option?).
>
> There are also many other packages (org, modus-themes, etc.) shipped with
> Emacs that we package in its most recent versions (and many others that
> pull these as propagated inputs, for some reason, even when already
> available with Emacs). Do we also describe how they differ ?
>
> Anyway, the release notes, update history, bug fixes and enhancements of
> every single version of vhdl-mode are given in the project home page,
> already included along with the package. Where do we need to replicate
> this information exactly for the patch to be accepted ?

Oh, I hadn't noticed that this was the very same package that comes with
Emacs.  I guess it's fine then, but to avoid any misunderstanding,
perhaps the description text could mention it explicitly ("This is the
same @code{vhdl-mode} that comes with Emacs, albeit it may be newer") or
similar wording.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim