Subject: Re: [bug#67921] [PATCH v3 01/24] gnu: ghc: More robust build with binutils ≥ 2.39.

From: Nicolas Graves <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2024 09:00:48 +0100

On 2024-11-13 04:47, Divya Ranjan via Guix-patches via wrote:

> Hello Nicholas, Lars and others.
>
> I’ve planned to pick up the work needed for this upgrade. Where are we
> and what more work is needed? A brief summary with specific tasks
> would help me get started.

I haven't managed to get much more done.  What happened is that
core-updates broke the original patch series, the patch I added fixes
the build of version 9.4.8 and makes a previous patch unnecessary, but
the way I wrote it required to build from versions 8.6 (basically one
entire day of pure build on my machine).

If I were to rebuild everything from 8.6 once again, I would actually
rather try the #:make-flag EXTRA_HC_OPTS (IIRC) which is definitely the
same thing in 9.4.8, but it wasn't that clear in 8.6.

From there you'll see that some tests for 9.6 are still broken.  I last
was working on decoupling the build (which works) from the tests (some
still failed, hard to understand why), because the rebuild is huge and
makes iterations quite painful.  But even that is hard since you would
need the hadrian test phase to be run to get the necessary files
(hadrian config for tests and some binaries) to run tests independently
in another guix package.  IIRC I stopped there but still have some
progress in my stash. 

> Regards,

-- 
Best regards,
Nicolas Graves