Subject: Re: bug#66757: missing INFOPATH for some packages (Git, Coreutils)

From: John Kehayias <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 02:32:09 +0000

Hello,

On Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 10:11 AM, Simon Tournier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it expected
>
> $ guix shell -C git coreutils
> [env]$ ls $GUIX_ENVIRONMENT/share/info
> coreutils.info.gz  dir	git.info.gz  gitman.info.gz
>
> /tmp/some-dir [env]$ exit

Well there's no info-reader right? So doing "info git" errors with no
"info" found.

> $ guix shell -C git coreutils --search-paths
> export PATH="/gnu/store/jigy78ai2asmgwhxpxzq2dhqhqi8c4p6-profile/bin${PATH:+:}$PATH"
> export GIT_EXEC_PATH="/gnu/store/jigy78ai2asmgwhxpxzq2dhqhqi8c4p6-profile/libexec/git-core"
>
> ?  I was expecting an INFOPATH in the search path.
>

If you add info-reader to the packages I get an INFOPATH search-path
(and of course then an info command is available and works).

> Well, it appears to me a bug but if I am missing something, feel free to
> point me what :-) and then close.
>
>
> Cheers,
> simon

So I think it is just that you didn't have the "consumer" of the
search-path, the package info-reader, in the profile. That seems like
the expected functionality of search-path but maybe I'm missing
something? Not closing in case it is me not you :)

(as an aside, I never remember the package for the same thing with
man...)

John