Subject: Re: bug#66647: Installation of RPMs produced by ‘guix pack’ is super slow

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 16:21:37 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, 15 Jan 2024 at 10:12, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> We could mention that other package managers than yum should be
>> preferred in a "@quotation Note", due to a performance problem when
>> handling modern RPMs as those made by Guix; or we could close this and
>> wait for yum to have become completely irrelevant (which seems like in a
>> year or so, last I checked the RHEL end-of-life dates).
>>
>> Is someone volunteering to add the note?  Or should we close this?
>
> Yeah maybe let’s just a short note warning against old versions of ‘yum’
> and close this issue.

I am proposing [1]:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
1 file changed, 8 insertions(+)
doc/guix.texi | 8 ++++++++

modified   doc/guix.texi
@@ -7299,6 +7299,14 @@ Invoking guix pack
 sudo rpm --install --prefix=/opt /gnu/store/...-hello.rpm
 @end example

+@quotation Warning
+Rely on @command{rpm --install} for installing an RPM archive and avoid
+@command{yum install} or related.  The generated RPM archive will
+install faster when using @command{rpm} than when using @command{yum}.
+The performances of @command{yum} when installing generated RPM archive
+could be detrimental compared to installing using @command{rpm} tool.
+@end quotation
+
 @quotation Note
 Contrary to Debian packages, conflicting but @emph{identical} files in
 RPM packages can be installed simultaneously, which means multiple
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

WDYT?

Cheers,
simon

1: bug#66647: Installation of RPMs produced by ‘guix pack’ is super slow
Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 14:31:20 +0100
id:[email-masked]
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/66647
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/msgid/[email-masked]
https://yhetil.org/guix/[email-masked]