Subject: Re: [bug#66618] [PATCH] etc: gitconfig: Remove the default email address to avoid mistakes.

From: Clément Lassieur <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 22:11:54 +0200

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I don't think there is a need for `--to` automation in Guix repo because
>> it's something the user can automate in their own ~/.gitconfig (with
>> `includeIf`[0]).
>
> I often have single patches, or with series I need to send the cover
> letter first; just writing 'git send-email -1' is shorter
> than 'git send-email --to=[email-masked] -1' :-).

Well, you can use a bash alias, a git send-email wrapper, your own
.gitconfig as I said...  There are a lot of solutions.

> I also often use patman (info "(u-boot) Patman patch manager") and
> there's no way to specify a --to from the command line (you use
> Series-to: [email-masked] as a git trailer after having received
> it for a cover letter), which would make things slightly more
> annoying...

Then you can also write "Series-to: [email-masked]" as trailer for
the first patch and then change.

Or you can use git send-email --to for the first patch, and patman for
the remaining ones.

>> [0]: https://git-scm.com/docs/git-config#_conditional_includes
>
> ... by having to configure this in a way that matches all my Guix
> worktrees spread around :-).

If all your Guix worktrees are in the same directory, it's
straightforward.  Otherwise, it's just one line per git repository.
Something that's surely not a problem for you.

> I guess what I'm saying is that it provides value for me, and I'd expect
> for others, although I can see how it could generate surprise when you
> initially get your 'get send-email' foo wrong.

I'm sure it provides value for you but I don't think it does for others:
all I see is that it provides confusion.

We want a software, and tools, that are simple to use and to understand.
Please don't add too much things that are hard to maintain, hard to
understand, and with unexpected defaults.

Git send-email is used by a lot of projects apart from Guix.  And
newcomers often come from those projects, they don't expect weird
defaults and weird customizations.

> Perhaps we should more prominently mention that 'mumi send-email' should
> be used for first timers, as it's less likely to get things wrong using
> it?

I think git send-email is easy to use and to understand (if people don't
modify its default behavior).

Thanks,
Clément