Subject: Re: bug#62473: [PATCH 0/4] OpenFoam update to version 10

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 22:09:36 +0200

Hi,

reza <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> Does “com” stand for “commercial”, and if so, what are the implications?
>
> "com" stands for the website "openfoam.com". The project forked at some 
> point and now there are two almost identical code bases. openfoam-com 
>
> which is maintained by a company has more rapid development in favor of 
> stability while openfoam-org stays more conservative with code additions 
> but being more stable therefore.

Interesting situation.  :-)

> I don't know how to handle the almost identical builds of this two code 
> bases, shall I make a function?

No, I think it’s fine to inherit like you did.

> There is also an issue with the version of openfoam-org getting used
> in the build of openfoam-com, maybe this is a bug?

Given your description above, it’s surprising that one depends on the
other.  If there is such a dependency, then it might be worth reporting
upstream as a bug or asking for clarifications.

Thanks for your replies!

Ludo’.