Subject: Re: [bug#59451] [PATCH] gnu: cura: Make it work on wayland.

From: Demis Balbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 23:34:56 +0100

On 2022-11-23 09:20, Christopher Baines wrote:

> Setting this environment variable here seems quite unusual. What's it
> doing, and would anyone want to set a different value?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris

Hello Chris,

unfortunately I can't help much with this. Cura is currently not running
under Wayland (XWayland). After doing a bit of research, I found
https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/10815, and setting
`QT_QPA_PLATFORM` to `xcb` was the suggested workaround until wayland is
officially supported.

My QT knowledge is very limited, but the QT_QPA_PLATFORM env var seems
to allow for defining platform-specific features for the application
(https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/embedded-linux.html#specifying-additional-settings).

Setting it to `xcb` enables the XCB plugin
(https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/embedded-linux.html#xcb), which seems to be the
default X11 plugin.

Setting the env var to `wayland` doesn't work unfortunately. As an
alternative, I could create a package derivation `cura-wayland` and only
apply the patch there? Would that be more suitable?

-- 
Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Demis Balbach