Subject: Re: [bug#58357] [Patch staging ] doc add a recommended system in 'Hardware Considerations'

From: kiasoc5 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 15:47:34 +0000

On Fri, Oct 14 2022, 05:12:59 PM +0200
Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

>     I’m not sure how to do this though.  Maintaining a list of
> known-bad devices doesn’t sound great, but it’s better than nothing.
>     Instrumenting the firmware-loading mechanism would be a good way
> to detect problems, but I think it’s not even getting invoked in
>     Linux-libre (or not always).  Alternatively, we could tweak
>     deblobbing so that it produces a list of known-bad modules or
>     devices.

I think automatically generating a list of nonfree modules would work,
as long as we make sure we don't recommend that a user acquire them.

Also, I tried to run linux-libre on my desktop and it booted but
refused to login because it tried to load the nonfree wifi card. Could
it be patched so that nonfree modules are ignored, and I could at least
get a desktop without wifi? Everything else afaik is free hardware.

(if this is a separate issue, I can make a bug report)

--