Subject: Re: [bug#58357] [Patch staging ] doc add a recommended system in 'Hardware Considerations'

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 12:07:52 +0200

[email-masked] writes:
> Can you give me some examples of "bad thinkpads"?  Perhaps really new 
> ones?  I'm honestly a little torn about what hardware to recommend to
> newcomers to Guix System.

Your patch addresses many things at once; mostly I wanted to refer you
to the AMD GPU bug.  My experience was being quite disgruntled when I
learned AMD had only “free” drivers marketing-wise but not truly free
drivers because no free firmware.

My opposition to recommending Thinkpads is mostly opposition to
recommending specific hardware, which should be the job of RYF and
h-node.  Guix cannot keep track.

> Or maybe this wiki page may be of use:
>
> https://wiki.parabola.nu/Computers

Your Parabola link is really interesting though; it makes it sound like
even RYF hardware is not without wi-fi trouble …

When you write

> It would be nice to 
> at least recommend some specific hardware.  :)  I think the current
> manual is too vague for newcomers.  Just my 2 cents.

then I do agree, but I also think it cannot be in scope for Guix.

> I can re-word to to say "old integrated Intel GPUs".  I'm not sure how
> old I should say though.  5 years?  Will the Intel Arc graphics cards
> be FYF or do they have a binary blob.  I don't actually know...

H-node says some Intel UHD have no 3d acceleration.

> How recent was that?  That rsvg started working on ARM  ?

commit 32a87714f4507f853824d82d9c6ca10e1405c8eb
Author: Pierre Langlois <[email-masked]>
Date:   Sat Mar 26 13:21:17 2022 +0000

    gnu: mrustc: Update to 0.10.
    
    And enable rust for aarch64-linux!

A very nice commit message. :)

Regards,
Florian