Subject: Re: bug#58357: [Patch staging ] doc add a recommended system in 'Hardware Considerations'

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 18:35:00 +0200

Hi,

"pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>> This discussion and others we had at the Ten Years of Guix event makes
>> me think we should strive to avoid bad surprises by being more
>> explicit.  Concretely, we could:
>>
>>   • Under “Hardware Considerations”, list common devices known not to
>>     work without non-free {firm,soft}ware, such as Intel Wifi (iwlwifi).
>>     We cannot be exhaustive but we should at least mention common
>>     problems with recent x86_64 laptops.
>
> My impression is that the dire wifi situation is explained well enough
> in Hardware Considerations already.

It is, but:

  1. It’s not as prominent and explicit as it could be: it’s within a
     paragraph (as opposed to a table), there’s no mention of iwlwifi,
     etc.

  2. The situation got worse in the meantime: see “Background” in
     <https://blog.einval.com/2022/04/19>.

>>   • Under “Hardware Considerations”, make the list of devices known to
>>     work clearer, in tabular form, perhaps expanding it.
>
> There is a list of image types like novena and pine64.

By devices, I meant primarily WiFi devices, sound cards, etc. for the
more common x86_64 hardware.

Thanks,
Ludo’.