Subject: [Patch staging ] doc add a recommended system in 'Hardware Considerations'

From: Joshua Branson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 10:24:45 -0400

It would be nice if the guix manual mentioned that it really works best with 
2GB of RAM. and that the best supported archeteticure is X86_64. 

* doc/guix.texi (Hardware Considerations):  add a reccomended system and a
short commentary about graphics cards.
---
 doc/guix.texi | 11 +++++++++++
 1 file changed, 11 insertions(+)

diff --git a/doc/guix.texi b/doc/guix.texi
index f8badfb5a9..1d1cec6e0d 100644
--- a/doc/guix.texi
+++ b/doc/guix.texi
@@ -2218,6 +2218,13 @@ Linux-libre driver.  Free firmware exists for both and is available
 out-of-the-box on Guix System, as part of @code{%base-firmware}
 (@pxref{operating-system Reference, @code{firmware}}).
 
+@cindex Graphics Cards, hardware support
+Graphics cards have a hard time running properly under linux-libre,
+because those drivers usually require propritary firmware, which
+linux-libre removes.  Users should avoid brand new graphics cards.
+Older Kepler Nvidia graphics cards and integrated Intel GPUs work the
+best.
+
 @cindex RYF, Respects Your Freedom
 The @uref{https://www.fsf.org/, Free Software Foundation} runs
 @uref{https://www.fsf.org/ryf, @dfn{Respects Your Freedom}} (RYF), a
@@ -2229,6 +2236,10 @@ Another useful resource is the @uref{https://www.h-node.org/, H-Node}
 web site.  It contains a catalog of hardware devices with information
 about their support in GNU/Linux.
 
+For the best Guix System experience, Guix developers recommend an X86_64
+system with at least 2GB of RAM.  An old Thinkpad in the T or X series
+is usually a good choice.  If you decide to run Guix System on ARM or
+Power architectures, then please use a system with a 64 bit CPU.
 
 @node USB Stick and DVD Installation
 @section USB Stick and DVD Installation
-- 
2.37.3