Subject: Re: bug#57878: Minimal reproducible setup

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 12:11:18 +0200

Hi Liliana,

On Fri, 14 Oct 2022 at 20:22, Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Maybe it could be worth to have that in the manual too, no?  For
>> example, under ’Application setup, Emacs packages’ [1].
>>
> Would you prefer a paragraph, a note, or a footnote?

As you would prefer.  Maybe a note with,

        Emacs can now compile packages natively.  Under the default
        configuration, this means that Emacs packages will now be
        just-in-time (JIT) compiled as you use them, and the results
        stored in a subdirectory of your @code{user-emacs-directory}.

        Furthermore, the build system for Emacs packages transparently
        supports native compilation, but note, that
        @code{emacs-minimal}---the default Emacs for building
        packages---has been configured without native compilation.  To
        natively compile your emacs packages ahead of time, use a
        transformation like @option{--with-input=emacs-minimal=emacs}.

BTW, thanks for your efforts to explain upstream the situation. :-)

Cheers,
simon