Subject: Re: xdg-desktop-portal update executables no longer ELF binaries

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 22:03:56 +0200

Am Donnerstag, dem 18.08.2022 um 15:36 -0400 schrieb Jack Hill:
> X-Debbugs-CC: [email-masked]
> 
> Hi Guix,
> 
> After the recent update to xdg-desktop-portal (commit 
> 38d7e6d6b7467839c2f577783b6c97194ff5026b), I find that the 
> xdg-desktop-portal executalbe is no longer an ELF binary. This causes
> portal using applications (I noticed with obs) to not be able to launch
> the portal, and print messages like "[portals] Error retrieving D-Bus
> proxy: Error calling StartServiceByName for 
> org.freedesktop.portal.Desktop: Failed to execute program 
> org.freedesktop.portal.Desktop: Exec format error"
Could it be that you have a corrupt (possibly empty) file?  On my
machine I have

$ file /gnu/store/dfp9xsk36wkanaan6zcylc2b86bfj2y7-xdg-desktop-portal-
1.14.4/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal
/gnu/store/dfp9xsk36wkanaan6zcylc2b86bfj2y7-xdg-desktop-portal-
1.14.4/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64,
version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter
/gnu/store/5h2w4qi9hk1qzzgi1w83220ydslinr4s-glibc-2.33/lib/ld-linux-
x86-64.so.2, for GNU/Linux 2.6.32, stripped

$ file /gnu/store/bp9j67p8ynif5p2vbjl7lg294f5aihxk-xdg-desktop-portal-
1.14.4/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal
/gnu/store/bp9j67p8ynif5p2vbjl7lg294f5aihxk-xdg-desktop-portal-
1.14.4/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64,
version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter
/gnu/store/5h2w4qi9hk1qzzgi1w83220ydslinr4s-glibc-2.33/lib/ld-linux-
x86-64.so.2, for GNU/Linux 2.6.32, stripped

Cheers