Subject: Re: bug#55857: Odd Shepherd message on 'guix system reconfigure': (map (# ?) ?)

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 11:54:45 +0200

Hi,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>> The message is produced by shepherd as a response to an expression that
>> ‘guix system reconfigure’ tells it to evaluate, in (gnu services herd).
>> And all this happens as part of the live service upgrade mechanism.
>>
>> Admittedly, this particular message is not something one cares about as
>> a user, but it seemed safer to print messages shepherd might send during
>> that operation.
>
> Perhaps what we need is a proper logging infrastructure?

The difficulty here is that the message comes from shepherd without a
priority/level flag.  Usually those messages are well worth displaying
because they show what services got restarted, what failed, etc.  But
this one message is the fly in the ointment…

Ludo’.