Subject: Re: bug#54836: [PATCH 1/2] http-client: Fix redirection.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 22:53:26 +0200

Hi,

And sorry for the delay.

Attila Lendvai <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> > It's not enough to just handle the thrown exception, because we need to be
>> > able to get hold of the fetched content, too.
>>
>> Would it make sense, then, to use the lower-level ‘http-get’ from (web
>> client)? That would let the code deal with all the HTTP idiosyncrasies.
>
>
> i think it boils down to this trade-off:
>
> 1) keep http-fetch simpler, at the expense of reimplementing parts of
>    it in the go importer (e.g. the redirection logic)
>
> 2) add this extra complexity to http-fetch, and avoid the extra
>    complexity of a local, potentially half-assed %http-fetch in the go
>    importer.
>
> 3) something else i'm not aware of

For now, I’m somewhat in favor of #1.

My take would be: try to implement whatever’s needed specifically for
the Go importer; from there, we can eventually revisit that situation
and maybe switch to something that’s more like #2.

How does that sound?

Thanks,
Ludo’.