Subject: Re: bug#53368: .guix-authorizations 'version' field documentation

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 15:21:49 +0100

Hi,

Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> skribis:

> 'version' does denote a file format version.  Calling it an API version
> is somewhat inaccurate, because it is not a application _programming_
> interface -- you can't write Scheme code in .guix-authorizations,
> only S-exps that match the file format.
>
> While it is the version of the file format, it is not the version of
> the file, which I believe is were the confusion came from?
>
> Also, changing 'version' to 'api-version' would probably prevent old
> versions of Guix (that only recognise 'version') from pulling new
> versions of Guix (that would have an 'api-version' in their
> .guix-authorizations) (untested).

I agree with everything you wrote.

Christopher, with this in mind, do you think we need a sentence or two
in the manual to clarify what the ‘version’ field is about?

Thanks,
Ludo’.