Subject: Re: bug#51696: Request: Adopt the unofficial GUIX community on Matrix

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 00:02:23 -0500

Hi Jacob,

Jacob Hrbek <[email-masked]> writes:

> There is an unofficial GNU Guix community on matrix (#guix:matrix.org)
> with 375 members and an unofficial matrix space that i've created
> (https://matrix.to/#/#gnu-guix:tchncs.de) which consist of
> IRC<->Matrix bridged channels.
>
> Proposing for GNU Guix to adopt this community, it's moderators and my
> space to configure IRC<->Matrix bridge (less then 4000 CPU cycles per
> day last time i checked) to connect those two communities and users
> who prefer either of those protocols to increase the reach of GNU Guix
> to new users.

I appreciate this initiative, and from my preliminary investigations it
seems to me that Matrix would be a good protocol to support.  I would be
glad if GNU Guix gained an official Matrix channel.

I have one concern: I'm concerned about control.

You propose that GNU Guix should adopt "this community, it's moderators
and my space".  Who are these moderators?  Who controls the "space"?
Who gets to decide who is given moderation privileges over the "space"?

If, in the future, you disagreed with the GNU Guix project leadership
over how the "space" was being managed, who would have the technical
and/or legal ability to override the others' wishes?

In short, would we need to trust you?

I hope that you will not read these concerns as suggesting that you have
ill intent.  On the contrary, although I don't know you, I think it's
highly likely that your intent is benign, and I appreciate your efforts
to improve our communications infrastructure.

I would have these concerns regardless of who held the keys, even if it
were a long-time Guix project participant who I had come to deeply
respect and trust.

What do you think?

      Regards,
        Mark

-- 
Disinformation flourishes because many people care deeply about injustice
but very few check the facts.  Ask me about <https://stallmansupport.org>.