Subject: Re: bug#50833: [PATCH] Add Bower (notmuch curses email client)

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 12:09:06 -0400

Hi,

jgart <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>> > I can patch sendmail and the others mentioned by Sarah. What should we
>> > do about lynx given wangp's insight on lynx as default in bower?
>> 
>> I think we should patch it, given that according to wangp "it doesn't
>> behave that nicely when lynx is missing but it won't crash." and taking
>> into account that lynx is very small (guix size lynx says it has a
>> closure of 185.4 MiB).
>> 
>> I'm looking forward to the v2 :-)
>
> So, I should just patch lynx then, or also other things on that list?

Sarah had sent a useful list of commands they could find referenced in
the source:

>--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
src/compose.m
1488:base64_command = command_prefix(shell_quoted("base64"), quote_once).

src/detect_mime_type.m
55:file_command = command_prefix(shell_quoted("file"), quote_once).

src/prog_config.m

:- func default_notmuch_command = command_prefix.

default_notmuch_command =
    command_prefix(shell_quoted("notmuch"), quote_once).

:- func default_editor_command = command_prefix.

default_editor_command =
    command_prefix(shell_quoted("vi"), quote_once).

:- func default_html_dump_command = command_prefix.

default_html_dump_command = command_prefix(shell_quoted(Lynx), quote_once) :-
    Lynx = "lynx -dump -force-html -stdin -display-charset=utf-8".

:- func default_open_part_command = string.

default_open_part_command = "xdg-open&".

:- func default_open_url_command = string.

default_open_url_command = "xdg-open&".

:- func default_pipe_id_command = string.

default_pipe_id_command = "xclip".

:- func default_alt_html_filter_command = command_prefix.

default_alt_html_filter_command =
    command_prefix(shell_quoted("pandoc -f markdown -t html"), quote_once).

:- func default_poll_period_secs = maybe(int).

default_poll_period_secs = yes(60).

:- func default_auto_refresh_inactive_secs = maybe(int).

default_auto_refresh_inactive_secs = no.

:- func default_sendmail_command = command_prefix.

default_sendmail_command =
    command_prefix(shell_quoted("/usr/bin/sendmail -oi -oem"), quote_once).
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Out of these, I'd patch 'base64', 'file', 'notmuch', 'lynx' and
'sendmail', and leave the rest to be picked from PATH if available.

Could you send an updated version patching the above commands?  With
this, it should be good to go.

Thank you,

Maxim