Subject: Re: [PATCH] gnu: emacs-consult: Add ‘emacs-ve

From: Leo Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2021 19:39:58 +0200

Am Mittwoch, den 05.05.2021, 15:26 +0200 schrieb Xinglu Chen:
> emacs-vertico is an optional dependency so maybe there is a better
> way
> deal with this.  Splitting the package into multiple outputs might be
> a
> better idea, but I don’t know how we would do that.
This is certainly an interesting question.  With other Emacs packages,
there is sometimes a contrib version, that adds "more", see e.g. org-
mode or telega.  But those are tied closely to what upstream considers
contrib, so I don't think that applies here.

IIUC selectrum is likewise optional.  Perhaps we should consider not
propagating optional inputs, but rather adding them as normal inputs –
so that byte compilation succeeds, but users won't be forced to have a
rather large elisp library as part of their profiles if it's not
needed.

I've CC'd Maxim to get their input on the matter, the patch otherwise
LGTM.

Regards,
Leo