Subject: Re: bug#47756: [PATCH] gnu: guile-git: Update to 0.5.0.

From: Xinglu Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 14:53:09 +0200

On Tue, Apr 13 2021, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I pushed that update independently as
> c2e83b71054f953953711e027f863d6c75c6ddb2.

Oh, cool.

>> I used ‘git-fetch’ because it is more flexible than ‘url-fetch’, users
>> can for example use package transformations to easily use a desired
>> commit/branch.
>
> I agree this is desirable.  I didn’t do that because I thought it might
> be a case where we need Guile-Git for ‘git-fetch’, but I think I was
> wrong (I was confusing with Guile-Zlib, which we cannot obtain via
> ‘git-fetch’ because ‘git-fetch’ uses it.)

Yeah, ‘git-fetch’ in (guix build git) runs (invoke "git" args ...), it
doesn’t seem to have any dependency on Guile-Git.

> So after all, maybe we can use ‘git-fetch’?

I think that would a good idea. :)