Subject: [PATCH 0/4] Update Raku (Perl 6)

From: Alexandru-Sergiu Marton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2021 23:33:32 +0200

Hi,

These patches update Rakudo, the Raku language compiler (formerly known as
Perl 6), to a newer version. I don't consider the work complete, because of a
few reasons:

* I didn't check if the perl6-* are compatible with this change;
* I didn't change the description/synopsis of what I updated;

yet the packages build and seem to work just fine.

I wanted to start a discussion before I go all-in on this.

Since the official name of the language is now Raku [1], should we rename the
module file to raku.scm? Also, in synopsis/description like the one for
Rakudo, where it says "Perl 6 Compiler", should we make it "Raku compiler"
instead? The website for Rakudo says it is "The most mature, production-ready
implementation of the Raku language." [2].

[1]: https://github.com/Raku/problem-solving/pull/89#issuecomment-541628893
[2]: https://rakudo.org/

Note that the rakudo package seems to be non-deterministic. The last version
was, and this new one is too.

Also note that I don't have any experience with Perl/Raku or Perl/Raku
tooling, so if I messed something up that should have been an obvious
Perl/Raku-related idiosyncrasy, please tell me.

Alexandru-Sergiu Marton (4):
  gnu: Add dyncall.
  gnu: moarvm: Update to 2020.12.
  gnu: nqp: Update to 2020.12.
  gnu: rakudo: Update to 2020.12.

 gnu/packages/c.scm     |  39 +++++++++++
 gnu/packages/perl6.scm | 144 ++++++++++++++++++++---------------------
 2 files changed, 109 insertions(+), 74 deletions(-)

-- 
2.30.0