Subject: Re: bug#45992: A "live" profile is missing

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 19:11:33 +0100

Hi Leo,

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 01:57:46PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Could it be that you (1) configured a checkout with the wrong
>> --localstatedir, (2) started guix-daemon from that checkout, and (3) ran
>> ‘guix gc’ or equivalent?
>
> 1) I could have misconfigured a checkout, although it is unlikely. I
> don't see any incorrect './configure' invocations in my shell history.

What does ‘grep ^localstatedir config.log’ return?

> 2) I never use the guix-daemon from a Git checkout. Really! I don't even
> know off-hand where the built guix-daemon is located. I would have to
> find it.

OK.

> 3) I run `guix gc` several times per week.

Alright.

So this is really weird.  AFAICS nothing has changed in this area.  You
could try building a new profile generation and then run things like
‘guix gc --list-live’ to see if the profile (in /gnu/store) is there,
and also ‘guix gc --list-roots’ to see if the profile itself (normally
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/$USER/guix-profile) is listed.

HTH,
Ludo’.