Subject: Empty guix

From: Thorsten Wilms <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 19:59:08 +0100

I just talked with Leo on IRC and he thinks the following might be
related.

`guix` stopped working, now taking any arguments without effect. I
found out that the associated store item is empty!

$which guix
/home/thorwil/.config/guix/current/bin/guix
 
$ls -l /home/thorwil/.config/guix/current/bin/guix
... /gnu/store/xa1xx4gpnvvf4wpzx63v1swl7gvqyw5d-guix-command

$file /gnu/store/xa1xx4gpnvvf4wpzx63v1swl7gvqyw5d-guix-command
... empty

This is on just about 1 week old hardware, Ubuntu Unity 20.10, Kernel
5.8.0-38, no power failures, ext4 file system. No direct manipulation,
just using `guix pull`, updating, installing and removing packages.

Meanwhile, `sudo guix pull` still worked.

As suggested by Leo, I did:
$cd /var/guix/profiles/per-user/thorwil
$rm current-guix
$ln -s current-guix-4-link current-guix

(Trying to `ln -s current-guix-4-link current-guix` without moving
current-guix out of the way first, failed with:
"ln: failed to create symbolic link 'current-guix/current-guix-4-link':
Read-only file system".)

-- 
Thorsten Wilms <[email-masked]>