Subject: Re: bug#45992: A "live" profile is missing

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 17:40:50 +0100

Hi Leo,

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I don't think that this message is really relevant to the bug report. It
> describes some corrupted store items on my computer and might be
> interesting as examples of what goes wrong when /gnu/store is writable.
>
> This is on Debian, where /gnu/store is just a "regular directory",
> without the protection you get on Guix System.

We now provide a ‘gnu-store.mount’ systemd service that makes /gnu/store
read-only, as on Guix System.  I suppose it wasn’t enabled on this
machine, right?

[...]

>         │   ├── [Dec 31  1969]  DejaVuSerif.ttf
>         │   └── [Jun 17  2020]  .uuid
>         └── [Jun 17  2020]  .uuid
> ------
>
> What's up with those '.uuid' files?

Not 100% sure, but my theory is that it’s a cache created by Fontconfig
and its friends.  That can happen when running a Guix application as
root.

It’s in fact a relatively frequent problem and the reason why Guix and
before that NixOS made the store read-only.

HTH!

Ludo’.