Subject: guix lint: support for spellchecker or basic grammar

From: Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 17:53:53 -0800

Please consider a guix lint description/synopsis check for basic
spelling, typo and rudimentary grammar issues.

Most of the ones I've found were caught by debian's "lintian" tool:

  https://tracker.debian.org/lintian

Common issues appear to be:

  "This packages" -> "This package"
  "allows to X" -> "Xs" or "Xing"

I've fixed many of these in the past:

  git log --author=vagrant --extended-regexp --grep='spelling|typo|grammar' --patch

But some of the very same patterns keep reappearing!

Many of these are likely to be caught by most spell checking routines;
I'm not sure if there is anything that would be implementable in pure
guile, or it if would make sense to call out to an external
spellchecker.

Some of them might be harder, and obviously we do not want too many
false positives, but no need to get perfectionist on solving this; even
just checking for "This packages" would haved detected many of these
issues!

That is, of course, if "guix lint" is being used consistently... :)

live well,
  vagrant