Subject: Re: bug#44612: Read standard input in `guix repl'

From: Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 17:11:03 +0100

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]> writes:

> Pierre,
>
> Pierre Neidhardt 写道：
>> and... it works! O.o
>
> Don't you hate it when that happens?  Ban bug suicide.
>
> (Does that mean this one can be closed?  Or retitled,

We can retitle it to remove the Guile banner indeed.

> if we want to debug Nyxt? :-)

Err... I'm confused, this is not about Nyxt :p

>> For future reference, it's also works in Common Lisp:
>>            (uiop:run-program '("guix" "repl") :input s :output t 
>>            :error-output nil))
>
> Well, I stranded trying to import (or whatever the CL term is) 
> UIOP itself, but my Common Lisp-fu is hella weak.

If you tried with SBCL, then you need to first require UIOP:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(require :uiop)
(with-input-from-string (s "(display \"foo\\n\")")
  (uiop:run-program '("guix" "repl") :input s :output :string :error-output nil))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

> This reminds me: do you want Nyxt to call ‘guix repl -q’ to skip 
> loading ~/.guile to make your UI more predictable & debuggable? 
> Or keep it as an escape hatch for cool hacks?

Oops, thanks for the reminder.  Will do indeed, I don't think it's
needed in Nyxt.  Or maybe make it optional.  Well, if someone ever
complains about it...

Cheers!

-- 
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/