Subject: Re: bug#43802: Knot: Linker runs very slowly and crashes during build

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 17:26:08 +0200

Simon,

Would it make sense to provide a faster-building slower-starting 
Knot variant alongside the main package?

Ludovic Courtès 写道：
> I this an LTO build (with ‘-flto’ in the compile and link 
> flags)?  That
> could explain the memory requirements.

No, but good guess.

Simon South 写道：
> Turns out this is not a bug.

The fast parser is written in Ragel[0], which compiles down to 
almost 2 MiB of ‘C’, which is then thrown at GCC to sort out.  I 
know to put the kettle on before hacking on Knot locally.

What I didn't know was that these generated C files were included 
in the release tarball.  We have the Ragel, we can rebuild them, 
and we now do so in commit 
2b73e50c31a61b5dcef35a1e4b9484d9dbcb0fbc.  Thanks for bringing it 
to my attention.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]: http://www.colm.net/open-source/ragel/