Subject: Re: bug#43610: IceCat segfault

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 21:06:09 +0100

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> writes:

> I have the same problem.  Icecat segfaults right away without any window
> appearing.  “-safe-mode” does not make a difference, but with “-p” I’m
> presented with the profile manager.  I haven’t tried creating a new
> profile yet, nor have I tried deleting files from my existing profile.
>
> I’m using Gnome on Guix System.  To be sure that it isn’t caused by a
> known bug in how we packaged Gnome Shell, I unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH before
> running icecat, but with no effect.
>
> I see a segfault with the latest icecat-78.3.1-guix0-preview1 and with
> the older 78.3.0-guix0-preview1.  No segfault with
> 68.12.0-guix0-preview1.

Starting the new Icecat with “icecat --migration” and telling it to
import the existing Icecat profile did the trick for me.  I did not
delete anything from my existing profile.

It would certainly be nice if Icecat didn’t segfault when loading data
that it can in principle migrate, but that’s not actually a Guix bug I
think.

-- 
Ricardo