Subject: Re: bug#43610: IceCat segfault

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2020 12:11:10 -0400

Hi,

raingloom <[email-masked]> writes:
> Haven't had time to look deeper into it yet. It worked in my profile
> from sept 11, it broke after pulling and upgrading yesterday.
> Idk what my commit is because I'm using a private branch.

On Sept 22, I pushed a major update of IceCat from 68.12.0 to 78.3.0:

  commit c7011ff850420fdbe1319b3d218bd362f2f9d618
  Author: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
  Date:   Sun Sep 6 21:47:33 2020 -0400

  gnu: icecat: Update to 78.3.0-guix0-preview1 [security-fixes].
  
  Includes fixes for CVE-2020-15673, CVE-2020-15676, CVE-2020-15677, and
  CVE-2020-15678.

  [...]

More details would be helpful.  For example, it's not clear from your
report whether it segfaults immediately on startup or sometime later,
whether a window appears, etc.  Also, are you using Guix on top of a
foreign distro, or natively?  Wayland or X?

It would also be useful to know how IceCat 78 behaves on your system
with a fresh profile.  Try it by running "icecat -p", creating a new
profile from the profile manager window, and then starting icecat with
that new profile selected.  If that works, it would then be useful to
try adding back any extensions that were installed in the profile that
crashed, and see if that makes a difference.

      Thanks,
        Mark