Subject: Re: bug#42771: smalltalk fails to build

From: Miguel Ángel Arruga Vivas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2021 13:09:15 +0100

Bonne année, Ludo!

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From c4385abde62bba4c634a7a874c2f431451909ec2 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
>> From: =?UTF-8?q?Miguel=20=C3=81ngel=20Arruga=20Vivas?=
>>  <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 10:36:48 +0100
>> Subject: [PATCH 1/2] gnu: smalltalk: Fix integer multiplication overflow.
>>
>> * gnu/packages/patches/smalltalk-multiplication-overflow.patch: Patch
>> from upstream commit 72ada189aba0283c551ead16635c1983968080b8.
>> * gnu/packages/smalltalk.scm (smalltalk): Use patch and link with gmp
>> and lightning libraries instead of the included source.
>> ---
>>  .../smalltalk-multiplication-overflow.patch   | 121 ++++++++++++++++++
>>  gnu/packages/smalltalk.scm                    |  43 ++++++-
>
> Please make sure to add the patch to ‘gnu/local.mk’ as well.  Otherwise
> LGTM.

Oops, I forgot about that, thank you.  I've pushed with this change and
some extra comments about optional packages and closure size as
e3281657c8 to master.

>> From 46809e6c265280571ff024c749c448c74af79c1a Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
>> From: =?UTF-8?q?Miguel=20=C3=81ngel=20Arruga=20Vivas?=
>>  <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 11:42:31 +0100
>> Subject: [PATCH 2/2] gnu: smalltalk: Update to version 3.2.91.
>>
>> * gnu/packages/smalltalk.scm (smalltalk): Update to 3.2.91.
>>
>> Co-Authored-By: Holger Peters <[email-masked]>
>
> LGTM.

I've pushed this, together with a comment about reverting to the mirror
when a new release be available, as df965a54e1 to master.

> Thanks for investigating!

I had it on my backlog from long time ago.  Thank you for your
review. :-)

> We can address the non-reproducibility issues separately.  Perhaps you
> can send your findings to bug-guix so we can keep track of it.

Sure; nonetheless, I think it will relate to two more generic issues I'm
opening too.

Happy hacking!
Miguel