Subject: Re: [bug#42738] [Work in progress] gnu: emacs: update to 27.1

From: Diego Nicola Barbato <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 10:22:27 +0200

Hey Guix,

Jack Hill <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> On Tue, 18 Aug 2020, Michael Rohleder wrote:
>>Jack Hill <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>>> Is the emacs-wide-int variant needed with the new multiprecision
>>> functionality?
>>
>> I don't think so.
>
> Ok, I've deprecated that package.

I added the emacs-wide-int variant because emacs-telega requires 62-bit
[sic] integers (https://debbugs.gnu.org/39412).  While Telega should
work with regular (non-wide-int) Emacs 27.1 (thanks to the new
multiprecision functionality), the test which checks if Emacs is suitable
for running Telega will fail, because it does not know about "bignums"
and looks at the value of most-positive-fixnum instead:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
  ;; 62bits for numbers is required
  ;; i.e. ./configure --with-wide-int
  (cl-assert (= most-positive-fixnum 2305843009213693951) nil
             "Emacs with wide ints (--with-wide-int) is required")
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I suggest we keep the emacs-wide-int variant until this issue has been
resolved, so that the Emacs update does not break emacs-telega on 32-bit
systems.

[...]

Greetings,

Diego