Subject: Re: [bug#42738] [Work in progress] gnu: emacs: update to 27.1

From: Jack Hill <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 02:23:42 -0400 (EDT)

I've added guix-devel to the cc: becasue the Emacs upgrade has come up a 
few times on IRC, and there are ways for you to help move this upgrade 
along. Any suggestions are welcome, but in particular, you can help with 
the following:

* Review the inputs and configure flags. Are there any additional changes 
needed for the new Emacs version? A good place to start with this would be 
the Emacs NEWS file. It's quite lengthy, so additional eyes would be quite 
helpful.

* Making sure packages build and work with Emacs 27.1. I expect this to 
involve elisp hacking and working with upstream.

I have the following updates, since I prepared at patch for the 27.1 
release candidate:

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020, Jack Hill wrote:

> Hi Guix,
>
> Now that there is a release candidate for Emacs 27.1, I started working on 
> updating our Emacs packages.

Now that Emacs 27.1 has been released, I've updated the patch for released 
version. Per Michael Rohleder's (mroh) suggestion on IRC, I have added gmp 
as an input.

Is the emacs-wide-int variant needed with the new multiprecision 
functionality?

> For the most part, it went smoothly, but there are some other packages 
> that broke after updating Emacs. Of the packages reported by `guix 
> refresh -l emacs`, the following had issues:

I have not had a chance to try rebuilding the dependents, but I have 
updated news for the following packages:

> emacs-haskell-mode - Tests newly fail with Emacs 27. Issue reported upstream 
> [2]
>
> [2] https://github.com/haskell/haskell-mode/issues/1714
>
> emacs-dante - depends on emacs-haskell-mode

John Soo (jsoo) volunterred to look at the haskell packages. Thanks!

> emacs-ample-regexps - This package builds from an arbitrary commit,
> and updating that fixed issues with Emacs 27 [4].
>
>[4] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/42737

This patch has been merged!

> emacs-doom-themes - This package builds from an arbitrary commit, and 
> updating that fixed issues with Emacs 27 [5].
>
> [5] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/42736

This patch has been merged!

> emacs-treemacs - Tests newly fail with Emacs 27. Issue reported upstream [6].
>
> [6] https://github.com/Alexander-Miller/treemacs/issues/707

Upstream has acknowledged the issue and is investigating.

> emacs-treepy - Byte compilation failure. There is an existing upstram issue
> [8].
>
> [8] https://github.com/volrath/treepy.el/issues/8

Upstream fixed the issue, and Michael Rohleder got the fix into Guix. 
Thanks!

> emacs-github-review - depends on emacs-treepy

With the fixed treepy, emacs-github-review now builds as well.

> notmuch - Tests time out.

Work is being done upstream to add support for 27.1 [9]

[9] https://nmbug.notmuchmail.org/nmweb/show/87bljg8nxr.fsf%40cassou.me