Subject: Re: bug#41458: Misleading error message when call guix command using pre-inst-env script

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 19:31:14 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, 23 May 2020 at 17:47, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski <[email-masked]> skribis:

> >    $ git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
> > $ cd guix
> > $ guix environment --pure guix
> > [dev]$ ./bootstrap && ./configure --localstatedir=/var && make

Hum? instead of these:

> > exit
> > $ ./pre-inst-env guix build artanis

what you (Jérémy) would want seems:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
[dev]$ ./pre-inst-env guix pull --url=$PWD -p /path/to/your/custom
[dev]$ exit
$ /path/to/your/custom/bin/guix build artanis
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

> This is a development environment issue that cannot happen when using a
> ‘guix pull’-provided ‘guix’ command.  I would close it as “wontfix”
> since, after all, it’s just one of the many ways one can end up with a
> non-functional development environment.

Even, I would close it as 'notabug'. ;-)

Cheers,
simon