Subject: error when running guix pull on i686-linux

From: Mayeul Cantan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 15:16:48 +0200

Hello there,

I am having some trouble building the latest generation (f2e99d9) on my 
old samsung n130 (i686).

Here is the console output:

root@charon ~# guix pull
Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at 
'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
Building from this channel:
guix https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git f2e99d9
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 
100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 
100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 
100.0%
building 
/gnu/store/3yjm93pizc6pnggdvyl17ynajv51448j-module-import.drv...
building 
/gnu/store/gc643vn38kb53zqlhr5nvgwsqhi9sbr5-module-import-compiled.drv...
4% [##### ]builder for 
`/gnu/store/gc643vn38kb53zqlhr5nvgwsqhi9sbr5-module-import-compiled.drv' 
failed with exit code 1
build of 
/gnu/store/gc643vn38kb53zqlhr5nvgwsqhi9sbr5-module-import-compiled.drv 
failed
View build log at 
'/var/log/guix/drvs/gc/643vn38kb53zqlhr5nvgwsqhi9sbr5-module-import-compiled.drv.bz2'.
cannot build derivation 
`/gnu/store/9sn1078n6nkdskpsa8wibbb19fgjl2a7-compute-guix-derivation.drv': 
1 dependencies couldn't be built
guix pull: error: build of 
`/gnu/store/9sn1078n6nkdskpsa8wibbb19fgjl2a7-compute-guix-derivation.drv' 
failed

Attached are two log files from two successive attempts at running `guix 
pull`. I'm often having isues pulling the latest derivations on that 
computer, and currently sitting at 
f0da92cb42f99cddadd9cea373758355cb7c6351 (though I've also had issues 
before that specific one).

I've been interacting with mbakke on the matrix channel regarding this 
since yesterday.

We tried bisecting the issue, and found an unlikely culprit in the name 
of 694e10af639da64cdf6f1c44cadf9a64f8a04fa6

However, I had interupted guix pull when it seemed to progress further, 
assuming the commit was good. And when trying to build  the commit right 
before, I encountered another, somewhat similar error (also attached: 
wy793 something).

After checking that 9d0b9c7c6c0b0d45653dea80b499314ea415d3c7 (just after 
the one I was on) worked all right, I tried a second bissect, that found 
10c413685f13af12fa2bb34796db82e1f52b47af as a possible cause. After 
reverting just 10c41 failed, I also reverted 694e10 on top of that. I 
thought it had worked as it kept building, but it failed after a while 
(slightly different log: gi046...). During that build phase, a lot of 
these "unbound variable  \x0" kept being printed to stdout, but I have a 
limited scrollback and forgot to tee it to a file beforehand. I could 
still obtain it if it was necessary.

I am not sure what to try next? I could try a script that sequencially 
builds every commit and prints the ones that succeed and the one that do 
not, but I wouldn't mind if you had better ideas, especially as a 
successful build can take a few hours to complete.

Thanks for your work, and sorry for this bug report that's a bit unclear 
and confused,

Mayeul