Subject: Re: bug#41339: Installing 'git:send-email' masks underlying git installations and does not imply installing git

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 19:00:00 +0100

Dear,

On Sat, 16 May 2020 at 16:59, Josh Marshall <[email-masked]> wrote:

> When installing "git:send-email", the dependency "git" is not
> installed.

It is an eternal question. :-)  Should installing the package “python-foo”
or “r-bar” also install the package “python” or the package “r-minimal”?

Well, the answer seems being: it is up to the user.  Because of
diversity.  Imagine that I want to install Git version x.y and the Git
package coming with “git:send-email” is at version p.q.  Just one
example.

Therefore, I do not think it can be considered as a bug.

>            Installing this also masks a local installation of git
> masked when running in a foreign distro.  The particular failure
> observed is that repos transferred over https no longer worked with
> the error `fatal: unable to find remote helper for 'https'`.

I am not sure to understand.  What do you mean?  Could you provide an
example to reproduce?

All the best,
simon