Subject: Re: bug#41038: gcc creates binaries that don't find their shared libraries

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 11:59:47 +0200

Hi Ludo,

On Mon, 4 May 2020 at 11:32, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> >   Packages needed for C development
> >   =================================
> >
> >   For C development, you will typically need the packages
> >     make gcc-toolchain gdb
> >
> >   Do NOT install glibc and binutils explicitly, as they would shadow
> >   the 'ld' wrapper that is necessary for proper operation of GCC.
>
> Good idea, I did something along these lines:
>
>   https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=1f14e25c1969a93908288cb302a572f3cbbaa478

Compiling Fortran leads to the same issue, if I understand correctly.
Is it not the reason of the addition of 'gfortran-toolchain'?
And I guess it should be the same issue for the other front-ends that
GCC supports (Ada, etc.), isn't it?

Well, is it not GCC related and not only C specific?

I mean, I seems better to me to remove "@subsection The GCC toolchain"
from "Application setup" and then to retitle the subsection "The GCC
toolchain" in "Development" instead of "Packages for C Development".
Keeping for now how it is worded and letting the GFortran use case as
an exercise for the reader. ;-)

All the best,
simon