Subject: Re: bug#39313: artanis's guile-json in conflict with guix

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 23:13:00 +0100

Hi David,

> Tried to install artanis today. It's kida ok to have conflicting package
> but maybe not with guix itself? Not sure whether it's an issue to
> address.

Whenever there are conflicts you should do as the hint says and upgrade
packages together.  Not doing so would result in a mixed environment
containing different variants of the same package, which is unlikely to
work, so Guix prevents it by default.

The problem here, though, as Julien pointed out, is that you have the
“guix” package installed in your profile, which is a bad idea.  Only use
“guix pull” to upgrade Guix.

(The “guix” package exists because it can be used as a library, not
primarily to provide the “guix” command which you use to install
software.)

So this is not a bug.

--
Ricardo