Subject: Re: bug#39288: Wrong keyboard layout to decrypt hard drive

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 22:39:51 +0100

Hi,

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Could you check whether your system configuration's
> bootloader-configuration actually contains a keyboard-layout field?
>
>       (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
>                     (bootloader grub-efi-bootloader)
>                     (target "/boot/efi")
>       -->           (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout)))

I've heard people using the French keyboard layout like this and having
an encrypted root say that GRUB (stage1) would indeed ignore the chosen
keyboard layout.  (I believe GRUB stage2, where the menu and command
line editing features are present, works fine, but that’s after the
passphrase has been entered.)

A quick search yields:

  https://superuser.com/questions/974833/change-the-keyboard-layout-of-grub-in-stage-1

… which suggests using ‘grub-mkstandalone’ (which is undocumented but
looks like a tiny superset of ‘grub-install’) and explicitly adding the
keyboard layout file to the on the command line.  Should we do that?

Problem is, ‘install-grub-efi’ isn’t passed the configuration.

Thanks,
Ludo’.