Subject: Re: bug#38940: \x1b]8; ; OSC character displayed on hyperlinks shown after calls to `guix describe` or `guix show` on mate-terminal 1.12.1 (Trisquel 8)

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2020 22:23:48 +0100

Hi!

zimoun <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 at 22:28, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> The theory is that terminals should ignore OSC codes that they do not
>> support.  Good’ol xterm, for instance, silently ignores those hyperlink
>> codes, whereas GNOME Terminal interprets them nicely.
>
> Héhé! It is what the comment you wrote in `supports-hyperlinks?' says. :-)
>
> 1. Instead of INSIDE_EMACS, the variable name NO_SUPPORT_HYPERLINK or
> other seems more meaningful. Maybe?

Actually the goal was to remove ‘INSIDE_EMACS’ from there once a
widespread-enough Emacs version supports it, which could be within a
year.  And since other terminals are supposed to ignore it altogether, I
would rather not add a special environment variable.

WDYT?

> 2. The comment should go in the docstring.

I tend to write “implementation details” as comments, while keeping pure
descriptions of the interface as docstrings; I think it’s OK.  :-)

Ludo’.