Subject: Re: bug#38226: guix pull: error: build failed: [...] ice-9/boot-9.scm:109:20: Syntax error:

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 21:10:50 +0100

zimoun <[email-masked]> skribis:

> But if you have this commit, you do not need the dance that you
> described to "guix pull" with a very very old Guix version -- say
> before the 0.15 overhaul.

You need to do the short version of the dance, so to speak, and the
proposed ‘--rescue’ could do that for you.

>> Now, I noticed that it doesn’t work so well when ‘guix publish --cache’
>> is used, as is the case on berlin.  The reason is that the daemon will
>> query substitutes one by one: guix-xyz.drv, then guix-xyz-builder, and
>> so on.  And because of the ‘--cache’ behavior, they’ll all have to be
>> baked separately.
>
>  $ guix build "/gnu/store/bz1qqy225p1jlicwf07iiqr79icqddcv-guix-4de11dda7.drv"
> substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
> substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
> substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
> substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
> substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
> substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
> substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
> cannot build missing derivation
> ‘/gnu/store/bz1qqy225p1jlicwf07iiqr79icqddcv-guix-4de11dda7.drv’
> guix build: error: build of
> `/gnu/store/bz1qqy225p1jlicwf07iiqr79icqddcv-guix-4de11dda7.drv'
> failed

That’s a perfect illustration of the problem I described just above.

If you try again 5mn later, it should go a bit further, and so forth.

Ludo’.