Subject: Re: bug#37482: Guix fails to build libreoffice

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2019 20:41:22 +0200

Jesse Gibbons 写道：
>> Even then, some complex executables will simply fail to link 
>> with 
>> so little RAM.
>
> You can get around too little RAM by using swap, correct? 
> Partition ~8GB as
> swap and add (swap-devices) in the configuration.

Sure, I think I suggested that (I was serious about Gnome, too!). 
People tend to underestimate just how slow swap is by several 
orders of magnitude, though.

Not sure about LibreOffice, but I doubt you'll have much luck 
building, say, Chromium with 2 GiB of physical RAM, with or 
without swap — but I admit I haven't been crazy enough to try :-)

Another hack you can try is enabling 50% zstd zswap, but with 2 
GiB of RAM and such an old CPU that too is far out in diminishing 
returns territory.  It could just crash your kernel.

Kind regards,

T G-R