Subject: Re: [bug#37413] [PATCH 0/9] Channel news distribution mechanism

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 16:28:19 +0200

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 03:39:38PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]> skribis:
> > You mean it takes too long for the TP coordinator to accept new
> > versions of PO files?
> 
> I mean two things: (1) there will not be PO files (see the format of
> news entries proposed in this issue),

It is easy to write a Guile script that prints a PO file with the news
file content inserted as the msgid of a single entry, if xgettext does
not support this already.  Then there would be two PO files, one for
the news file and one for the package info, that could be concatenated
by msgcat to a single file.  Guix could ship with this tooling for
channel authors and an explanation for how to submit the resulting POT
file to the Translation Project.

I think a single file is easier for translators to manage than two
files and typically we’d want news files and packages to be translated
by the same (group of) translator(s).

> and (2) I think this is outside
> the scope of the TP.
> 
> Does that clarify?
> 
> Ludo’.

I do not see why such translation should be outside the scope of the
TP?  I can only think of the speed of POT file acceptance and PO file
translators.  I am unsure if setting up Guix’ own translation team
would attract quicker translators than relying on the TP.

Regards,
Florian