Subject: Re: bug#35540: Installer displays encrypted partition password entry in cleartext

From: Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2019 11:50:24 +0200

Le Fri, 3 May 2019 11:30:18 +0200,
Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]> a écrit :

> Hi,
> 
> On Fri, 3 May 2019 10:54:37 +0200
> "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > When creating an encrypted partition in Manual partitioning (maybe
> > also Guided?) in the Newt installer, it asks for a password with
> > which to encrypt the partition.  However only the password
> > confirmation password entry diplays ******* instead of the typed
> > password, the password entry before displays the password in
> > cleartext.  
> 
> Yes.  What about it is a bug?  It would be very bad if you had a typo
> in the partition encryption password, so it's good that it's visible.
> 
> If you want, we can make the password visible in both boxes.
> But we shouldn't make it invisible in both boxes.

The role of the confirmation is to make sure you didn't make a typo
somewhere. If it's visible from the start, you know you didn't make a
typo, so the confirmation is useless, no?

On android when you enter a wifi password for instance, it's invisible
when you type it (replace by *) by there is a small button on the side
of the text entry to allow you to see it in plaintext to check that you
didn't make a mistake. Could we implement that instead? There won't be
a need for a confirmation either in that case.