Subject: Re: bug#34573: Backtrace of guix pull failed

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2019 23:02:36 +0100

Hi Vincent,

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> I wanted to install python, numpy and conda on plafrim as explained here : https://www.plafrim.fr/en/guix/
>> And guix pull failed :
> […]
>> In ./guix/profiles.scm:
>>   1773:23  2 (_)
>> In ./guix/utils.scm:
>>    661:47  1 (xdg-directory _ "/.config" #:ensure? _)
>> In unknown file:
>>            0 (getpw 10837)
>>
>> ERROR: In procedure getpw:
>> In procedure getpw: entry not found
>
> This looks like nscd is not running.

Actually nscd *is* running but it’s been misconfigured on these machines
since a couple of weeks or so—the sysadmins are aware of it and will
take a look shortly.

What happens is that nscd returns nothing for “passwd” database lookups
and as a result, the application (in this case Guile) falls back to its
local NSS implementation, which in turns tries to load an incompatible
libnss*.so file, leading to this lookup failure.

Anyway, this really looks like a setup issue on this machine, so I’m
closing this bug and we can discuss it further with the admins if
needed, Vincent.

Thanks,
Ludo’.